Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 54



On Tuesday my companion was getting ready to go home. That night we had planned to have dinner with the members we live with. Elder Calderon was going to cook some Panamanian food. So I was helping him. He was going to cook plantains. They cook them in oil a little, then they smash them down to be very flat, then they finish cooking them in oil.  Elder Calderon has done this many a time before his mission. I was working on cooking some meat outside on the grill. I was outside and he was inside and we could pretty much see each other the whole time. Anyway, he goes to start cooking the plantains. I heard something but it was not loud. I turn around and I see him holding this flaming pot of oil and he is taking it over to the sink. By the time I realize what has happened, and what my companion is going to do, it was too late. He had just thrown some water on the oil. The word going through my mind was "crap." I see this explosion of fire straight up. Now what was going through my mind was "crap, I hope elder Calderon is OK." Yes he was fine. I kept yelling "no water no water." He came outside. I realize that at this point nothing is on fire. I went carefully to see if anything was on fire. No. I opened all the windows and doors because the fire alarms were going off. I then go to inspect the kitchen.

After a little inspection, I realized that everything was cooled off, and there were only two things damaged. The floor mat by the sink and the ceiling at that spot was black. The members were going to be getting home in just a few minutes. So I call them up before and tell them what happened. Then we spent the rest of the day cleaning it all up.

My companion didn't even loose a hair off of his head or arm. He is now home safely. As for the ceiling, we contacted the office and the mission will be paying for the damage. The members were well.... they were not mad. They did not freak out. They were a little upset, but they were glad that elder Calderon was ok. Oh, but I should say the meat and the salad that we made came out great.

Now that I freaked you out, I get to tell you about what else has happened this week. I am now with Elder Sewelen from Sweden and Elder Zamora from New Mexico. Elder Sewelen got sick and we have pretty much not done a thing the last 3 days.  I think that just about ........... wait. I had more to say.  I moved in with some other members with those elders, and their place is a flipping mess. I have learned to be like mom. I can clean a million things at once, while doing everything else I am supposed to do as a missionary.

So because my trainee will not be coming from the MTC for a few weeks, I will be with these other two elders. Just a couple days ago I got my letter from the Mission President congratulating me as a trainer, and telling me what I needed to do. These letters are just automatically made by the computers. Any way the letter said I was the trainer of the two elders I am currently with. That was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment